Museum of the Moon is the giant replica of the Earth’s Moon that's set to light up our Plaza from Saturday 26 June - Sunday 4 July. Created by UK artist Luke Jerram, the installation measures seven metres in diameter and features 120dpi detailed NASA imagery of the moon's lunar surface. At an approximate scale of 1:500,000, each centimetre of the internally lit spherical sculpture represents 5km of the moon’s surface.
Saturday 26 June - Sunday 4 July 2021
Open Daily 11.00 am - 9.00 pm
Orbital celebrates Museum of the Moon with a 10-day phase of galactic events and activities that the whole family can enjoy. Check out what we have planned below:
Museum of the Moon Launch Party - Friday 25 June, 6.30 pm - 8.30 pm (EVENT SOLD OUT)
Board the Bunjil Place rocket ship for an intergalactic trip to the moon! You're invited to the hottest party this winter – the launch of Luke Jerram’s giant replica of the Moon in the Plaza.
Upon arriving at Bunjil Place you will be met by our lunar stewards who will assist you in boarding the runway and shuttling you to the moon. Once landed, Martians will meet you to provide you with instructions on how to acclimatise to your new surroundings as well as provide you with your provisions (drink and snacks – space themed of course).
Moon Dust (Augmented Reality on the Outdoor Screen) - Friday 25 June - Thursday 22 July
Take a step away from earth and transcend yourself to the virtual world of Moon Dust! Moon Dust is an augmented reality installation on the Bunjil Place Outdoor Screen in which the audience is live transformed into pixel particle systems in the virtual infinite universe.
Plus check out these upcoming Space Movies in the Studio and our other planned school holiday activities for you and the family:
- Wall-E , Monday 28 June, 1.00 pm - SOLD OUT
- Luis and the Aliens, Tuesday 29 June, 1.00 pm - SOLD OUT
- Escape from Planet Earth, Wednesday 30 June, 1.00 pm - SOLD OUT
Starr’s Planetarium - Monday 28 June to Friday 2 July 2021, 10.15 am - 4.15 pm (EVENT CANCELLED)
Unfortunately updated COVID-19 restrictions pertaining to Sydney and NSW has meant that the facilitator for Starr’s Planetarium cannot enter the state and we will not be able to run the event. Our Box Office team will contact existing ticket-holders via phone in the coming days to confirm the next steps.
School Holiday Workshops: Moon Lamp - Wednesday 30 June 2021, 11.00 am (EVENT SOLD OUT)
To celebrate Museum of the Moon in the Plaza we're bringing a workshop for kids to create their very own luminating moon.
Museum of the Moon Selfie Competition!
To celebrate Museum of the Moon coming to Bunjil Place, we are running a selfie comp! That's right, we want to see your most creative moon face! You could WIN 1 of 2 $100 Bunjil Place Gift Vouchers!
All you have to do to enter is:
- Follow Bunjil Place on FB or Insta
- Upload your moon selfie with our Museum of the Moon, using the hashtags #museumofthemoon #bunjilplace
Be sure to tag us in your photo as well so we don’t miss your entry. Competition closes Sunday 4 July so get snapping!
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
• The prize includes 1 OF 2 $100 Bunjil Place Gift Vouchers
• Entries close Sunday 4 July at 9.00 pm
• Winners will be drawn and notified on our Facebook & Instagram on Monday 5 July. See full T&Cs here
Visitors please note:
- Each attendee is asked to do this symptom self-assessment prior to leaving home and not attend if they feel unwell or have been instructed to isolate or quarantine.
- Attendees must maintain at least 1.5 metres physical distance between those from other groups at all times.
- To minimise movement, attendees must stay within their allocated spaces or seats where practical (this will apply when dining).
- Masks are not required outdoors unless you are unable to maintain at least 1.5 metres physical distance.
- Masks are required indoors, so please bring one for when moving inside Bunjil Place.
- Sanitising stations are located inside and outside of Bunjil Place.
More family friendly events coming to Bunjil Place over the School Holidays:
Spike by Little Wing Puppets - Monday 5 July 2021, 10.30 am & 12.30 pm
A baby echidna in search of where he belongs. Enjoy an interactive family experience in the Studio combining shadow puppetry and physical comedy.
School Holiday Workshops: Paper Collage Daffodils - Wednesday 7 July 2021, 11.00 am
Inspired by our latest exhibition, John Young: Diaspora, Psyche we are bringing a fascinating collage workshop for your kids.
The Bubble Show with Mini Milkshake - Wednesday 7 & Thursday 8 July, 10.30 am (both days)
Every child goes inside their own BUBBLE! Enjoy a theatre show about bubbles for anyone in the world regardless of what language they speak.