Celebrating Me: Online art workshop – Mixed Media Art
Join artist Yaz Gaté in creating your very own mixed media piece, inspired by the life and art works of Filipino visual artist Pacita Abad. In this workshop, you’ll learn about Pacita’s trapunto paintings and her colorful art works so that you can make your very own version based on your story – to celebrate you!
A playful and casual session exploring different mediums and techniques with tips and tricks to help along the way!
This workshop is suitable for all levels using easily accessible materials.
For this workshop, you will need:
- Bring a long a copy of a special memory – think photo, letter, drawing of something special to you.
- Paper suitable for paint and markers. (Either A4 or A3)
- Pencil and rubber.
- Black Sharpie/permanent marker.
- Colourful paint of your choice – watercolour or acrylic will do the trick!
- Brush, paper towel and jar of water.
- Glue stick
- Bonus but not a must: thick needle and embroidery thread or wool to sew into paper.
- Cover your table with newspaper or a plastic cover just in case!
About your teaching artist – Yaz Gaté
Melbourne-based Yaz Gaté, née del Mar, is founder of Tiny Cupboard Creatives - a small enterprise providing exciting in-home studio and virtual classes, workshops and events for learners of all ages, as well as commissioned art work and creative collaborations with other artists and organisations such as The Tarra Warra Museum of Art, The City of Greater Dandenong and the Philippine Embassy of Australia.
Yaz specialises in canvas and digital art but has a wide practice that includes textiles and sewing, lino printing and drawing. She has a strong interest in botanicals, their connection to cultural identity and the way culture and life stories shape art making. Over the last two years, she has drawn on her own Filipino Australian background to explore the way migration and family can impact storytelling in art. Yaz typically uses bold black lines and vibrant colour palette making her work distinctive.
Celebrating Me - Online Workshop Series
- Abstract Self Portrait, Thursday 25 November 2021
- Collage, Thursday 2 December 2021
- Flower Crown, Thursday 9 December 2021
- Poetry Writing, Thursday 13 January 2022
- Mixed Media Art, Thursday 20 January 2022
- Spill Art, Thursday 3 February, 2022
Sign up to our mailing list and you'll be kept up to date on all the latest news and events happening at Bunjil Place.
For accessibility bookings or other box office inquiries please email [email protected] or phone 03 9709 9700 between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm (Monday to Saturday).
Can't find the perfect present? Give them the gift of choice with a Bunjil Place Gift Voucher!